Sunday, May 11, 2008

Snap, Crackle, Americana?

I have been a fan of American Pop Culture all my life. Growing up in the 90's world of 24 hour television with American imports filling the children's TV schedule I am clearly just a product of my time. My personality, in a number of ways, gives me greater access to this pop culture world and everything that goes along with it.

I like things, stuff, items, that are there for no other reason other than to entertain and not just physical objects like toys but everything that is created out of the sole purpose to entertain. So there fore TV, Movies, Music, Comics, Toys these are the things that I enjoy. Show me an ornithology book and it would bore me to tears, or gardening, or astrology, or god forbid train spotting. No none of these things interest me, not that I have any problem with the people that are interested in them. The reason I think this is so is because of different personalities, mine is happy to sit and watch a boxset of Star Trek DS9 not for the gained knowledge or because it will some how better me but because of pure enjoyment, I will buy an action figure of say Red Tornado and there is absolutely no reason for me to do this apart from the pure joy that I gain from holding him in my hands.


There also has to be something said about the collector side of my personality as well, I enjoy collecting I could have easily fallen into stamps, model cars or even autographs but they don't fit in with the first part of my personality, the pop culture loving side. Comics, toys and DVD's however do fit in very well. There must be something about nerds and collectors these are the only people in the world who are willing to be shown the up coming products and are happy to wait for there releases on a regular basis. If you showed some one a picture of a toaster, and that person loved it, then told them that they could pre-order it and it would be shipped to them in 6 months time they would laugh in your face.


So perhaps I started out as a child looking at the television and enjoying the pure escapism of superhero cartoons, but that enjoyment combined with my personality turned me into the nerd I am today.


Towser

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home